Training your team and ensuring everyone's knowledge is up-to-date are important CPD triggers. We suggest that you get the team together for a training session based on the activities below and discuss the various ways in which you can offer customers and patients added care in this category.
Subject: headache and migraine
This Train Your Team checklist provides support and information to run a team training session on headache and migraine. This content can also be used for your own CPD.
- Do we distinguish carefully between the different types of headache in the pharmacy?
- Do we consider lifestyle issues in our discussions with customers suffering from headache?
- Are we on the look-out for medication-associated headache? Do we have the communication skills to discuss this with sensitivity with customers?
- Do we recommend the use of headache diaries?
- Do we know what the NICE guidance says about headache and its treatment? Do we use this guidance in the pharmacy?
- Do we know about complementary approaches for headache?
- Could we manage headache more effectively within the team?
Ensure your support staff understand the following key points:
- The different types of headache, symptoms and triggers
- The incidence of medication overuse headache and the need to look out for this
- The role of headache diaries
- The role of lifestyle and complementary approaches to headache
- When to refer to the pharmacist.
I will ensure that:
- We consider our skills in communication with customers suffering from headache
- Our advice is holistic
- We continue to learn from our customers to help us provide the best information on managing headache
- My pharmacy assistants are able to meet the points in this training checklist.
- Is the pharmacy workstation well set up to avoid eye strain? Could you improve it?
- Do you stock any topical products for headache? Do you know enough about them? Do you recommend them and on what occasions?