empty

Covid-19

Are pharmacists guinea pigs for covid19

With an open door policy and welcome to the consulting room with no triage or any form of screening. I am expetiencing extreme increase in queries and workload over the Covid 19 pandemic. Are we the test subjects for this virus?

No protection of any substance has been implemented a few masks and gloves too little too late and offer no real protection. Whilst surgeries closed their doors and asked for phone Triage we as the Guinea pigs are cannon fodder for all to abuse and cough at. Not to mention the increase in verbal abuse and the coughing at us with dont worry I dont have it hehe. Annoys me and shows the lack of respect to our profession. I conclude as a famous pharmacy publication that indeed we are Guinea pigs after all and the cesspit of healthcare!! Discuss.

1. I agree with Michael. As far as the government is concerned,community pharmacy are not considered as part of the NHS. We are the slaves of the NHS and the front line fodder for the NHS during this Coronavirus.As far as the government is concerned if some pharmacists do die, it will not make much difference to the NHS. Unfortunately our society is not strong enough to stand for us.

Every day GPS are given all the praise for working hard during this panademic. They are working behind closed doors and all patients are automatically referred to the pharmacies. We have to see patients with mouth,eyes,nose,skin problems to mention a few symptoms. We do not have decent PPE but we have still got to try and help our patients.

Deliveries have shot up. The only thing that keeps us going is the thanks and appreciation of our patients.All pharmacists are grateful that someone appreciates us.

2. I am a accuracy checking pharmacy technician, (although most people say "what's that"? ) which is quite annoying, get educated... anyhow, I suffer from severe anxiety and even more so now, as I have to work during this serious pandemic, I totally agree that we in fact are the front line guinea pigs and surgery's are closed !  I went to pick up my script from the surgery without a mask 😷 the receptionist was at the desk with mask and no one around, now that's satisfying.   Just saying . ...

3. I agree we work behind screens, but that is our only protection, joined to a doctors surgery that very rarely answers the phone. We get constant grief and abuse. I used to love my position as an Act in pharmacy. But putting a big strain on my feelings. I am normally chilled person. But now I get so frustrated with the way the general public treat us and speak to us .where is our PPE? 

4. Looks like we are! Surgeries and dentists don't see patients unless triaged and operate behind closed doors while I've already been asked to start doing MURs in the small, non-ventilated consulation room. On top of that when someone asks 'can I see the pharmacist?' the answer is 'yes, sure won't be long'. Then I get questions that are a result of eveyone else being closed. The phone is ringing constantly, makes my ears hurt. We are doing our best to protect ourselves but it's feels like nobody else cares for pharmacists.. 

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register

This website is for healthcare professionals, people who work in pharmacy and pharmacy students. By clicking into any content, you confirm this describes you and that you agree to Pharmacy Magazine's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

We use essential, performance, functional and advertising cookies to give you a better web experience. Find out how to manage these cookies here. We also use Interest Based Advertising Cookies to display relevant advertisements on this and other websites based on your viewing behaviour. By clicking "Accept" you agree to the use of these Cookies and our Cookie Policy.