In Pharmacy CPD ModulesCPD modules help to expand your clinical knowledge on a whole range of topics. Make sure you log your learning so you can track your progress and add to your online revalidation record.
- Shingles is a reactivation of a previous chickenpox infection and is more likely to occur in older people
- The most common complication of shingles is post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN)
- Actively encouraging eligible patients to have the shingles vaccine is a key public health intervention
- Early diagnosis and prompt treatment with aciclovir can reduce the severity and duration of shingles
- To be most effective antivirals should be started within 72 hours of the shingles rash appearing
Contributing authors: Professor Alison Blenkinsopp and Dr Martin Duerden