Train your team: Bladder weakness
Training your team and ensuring everyone’s knowledge is up-to-date are important CPD triggers for you. We suggest that you get the team together for a training session based on the activities below and discuss the various ways in which you can offer customers and patients added care in this category.
Subject: Bladder weakness
This Train Your Team checklist provides support and information to run a team training session on bladder weakness. This content can also be used for your own CPD.
- Does every member of the pharmacy team feel confident talking to patients about bladder weakness?
- Am I aware of the terms of service and remuneration for incontinence products prescribed on the NHS?
- Am I comfortable with my knowledge about medication used for the treatment of urinary incontinence? Can I provide information on appropriate use, cautions, contraindications and interactions to prescribers and patients?
- Do I know which medicines can cause urinary frequency and increase the risk of urinary incontinence?
- Do we stock an appropriate range of incontinence lines, including bladder weakness products? Can my staff explain how these products should be used?
- Ensure support staff understand the following key points:
- Bladder weakness tends to be a taboo subject, which should be dealt with sensitively and discretely
- The possible causes of bladder weakness and therefore the customers who could experience it
- There are several types of bladder weakness
- The types of bladder weakness products available and how to use them
- The indications for OTC tamsulosin
- Appropriate lifestyle advice
- When to refer customers to the pharmacist.
Action. I will:
- Update my knowledge of bladder weakness and its management
- Reassess my and my staff’s management of people seeking to buy female sanitary products
- Raise awareness of this condition by displaying appropriate leaflets and literature in the pharmacy
- Find out where my nearest NHS continence service is
- Train my pharmacy assistants to ensure that they can meet the points in this training checklist.